Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Back in the saddle again...

Vacation is officially over.  Back to the daily grind.  BOO HOO!   Let's at least talk about it, though!

We had a blast!  The whole trip was punctuated with laughter, good friends, sunshine and family.  It was exactly what we needed to restart and refuel.  We shared a condo with our lovely friends and another set had a condo just above us.  The beach was steps away and our pool had a lazy river AND a twirly slide.  The kids were in hog-heaven!  Quite frankly, so were the adults. 

We Sparked every morning, drank our meal replacement shakes, exercised every other day (ran on beach, went to the workout facility, did Maximum Capacity) and ate like a college co-ed!  That's really what we need to chat about...

Our challenge had officially ended and Pat and I saw great results.  We were able to make good, healthy choices about what we ate/drank, but that is not always as easy as it sounds!   We started strong, but as the week went on, and the beers went down, we sort of slacked off and boy could we tell. 

I started each day well.  I Sparked, drank a shake and slathered myself with SPF.  I took several bottles of water to the beach and was well intentioned to stay hydrated while I got my bronze on.  Unfortunately, we also packed a cooler of frosty brews to take to the beach as well.  I must admit, I do enjoy a cold beer on a hot day and I will tell you that everyday was HOT!  We also ate out quite a bit.  I find it easy to order "good" food while out, so really the biggest difference in my diet was the alcohol.  I had some chips here and there, or some pasta (that was not whole grain), but not a ton.  I also had more dairy than I'd had in a long time. 

I'm telling you this, not because I think we should NEVER have any of these things.  I learned long ago that deprivation is as unhealthy as indulgence.  No, I'm telling you this because of how it made me feel. 

By the third day I began to notice a difference in my stomach.  I was bloated and unfortunately, constipated.  That has not happened in a month!  My mood was also significantly different.  I was irritable and less patient, and I was tired.  I couldn't stay awake at night.  It's not like I was busy doing things during the day, unless you call chasing Molly around the pool strenuous...  I was lounging, having fun.  I should not have been as tired as I was.  Even my daily Spark started to not be enough. 

When I got home I was afraid to weigh myself.  I knew already that I'd undone some of the good that I had done with the 24 day challenge.  When I weighed myself, I'd gained three pounds.  I was disappointed.  Not in the weight, but in my poor choices.  I am not defined by what I eat, but I am defined by my choices.  So, I chose to do another ten day cleanse to rid my body of the toxins.  When I finish this one, I will start a new product (to me), the Women's vitamin pack.  I'm going to try some other products too, but I'll get to that later.

For now, know that what you put in your body matters.  It effects EVERYTHING.  It's up to you.
See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment