Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Is it really only Tuesday?

What a week- oh wait, we're not even halfway through it!  It's been crazy at school.  I'll spare you the details, but just know that a school filled with stressed out women is a tiring place to be!  The big event we'd all been working towards is now over, and it went surprisingly smoothly (thank GOD)!  Now we have to get ready for statewide testing (Grrrrrrr) and then we're clear skies and rounding home!

Because I have been stressed at work, I've done what all normal people do- I ignored work (right???)!  That has given me time to look for a few more recipes and plan some meals.  It also meant I had to go to my classroom last night and didn't get home until after midnight- but I do my best work under pressure (can I get an amen???).  So I made a pretty good new recipe last night!  Thought you'd like it too!

Ever since clearing out dairy from my diet, and then noticing how I felt after reintroducing it, I have wondered how vegan "dairy" options taste.  I did some research and there are many choices for those who wish to be dairy free.  Unfortunately, it is pretty pricy, but I am not choosing to be a complete vegan, just want to test the waters of the fake cheese ocean.  In my research I found a few that melt well and our local Kroger carried one such cheese!  It's dairy, gluten and lactose free shredded cheddar.  I didn't tell anyone I was adding it to the recipe- what they don't know won't hurt them!  :)
It's called daiya.  Here's a pic:


I made my AMAZING salmon marinade, but put it on chicken, which is just as wonderful!  Then I paired it with a new couscous recipe and the fake cheese.  YUMMO! 

Here it is. 
CHEESY SPINACH COUSCOUS
Prep time: 15 mins
Total time: 15 mins
Serves: 4
INGREDIENTSCouscous
1 1/4 cups broth
1 cup couscous
1 teaspoon butter (optional)- I didn't use it.
1/2 teaspoon salt (optional)- I didn't use it.
Topping
1 teaspoon olive oil
2 cups spinach, chopped
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated- here's where I used the fake cheese
Instructions
Bring water to a boil.
Add couscous, butter and salt.
Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
In a shallow pan, heat oil.
Add spinach, lemon juice and parmesan cheese.
Cook until spinach wilts slightly and changes color (about 1 minute).
Remove from heat.
Mix spinach mixture with couscous.
Add freshly ground black pepper to taste.
Calories: 231 Fat: 5g Carbohydrates: 34gr Fiber: 2.5g

We had green beans, too, but the couscous was my favorite part!
 Give it a try and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment