Friday, July 6, 2012

Recipe post for you...

I had my first attempt at a fully vegan meal, and it was delicious!!!!!  It's a vegan lasagna.  I adapted a Pinterest recipe, and used soy meat and vegan cheese.  These are the main ingredients I used, besides the tube polenta, which I got in the organic aisle at Kroger.

The sauce is delicious, too.  I got it at Whole Foods in my attempt to find a LOW SUGAR marinara.  Most have around 6 grams of sugar, this has only one!  It's great, and Pat loves it, too!

All you do is layer the ingredients as you would with any lasagna.  I sauteed some onions and garlic for a few minutes, then threw in the soy meat (strange consistency in the package, but just like meat in the pan).  Instead of noodles, you slice your polenta and use the slices in the noodles' place.

The recipe called for an 8x8 pan, which I do not have, so I used an 8x11.  I would suggest getting two tubes of polenta for anything other than an 8x8.  I didn't feel like I had enough.  Also, I used only a clove of garlic, but would suggest more.

Of course, I cannot locate the exact recipe I adapted, so here's what I did:

Polenta Lasagna

One tube polenta (organic)
One jar pasta sauce
1 lb soy meat or other meat substitute
1 pkg soy cheese or other cheese substitute
1-2 cloves garlic minced
half onion minced
salt/pepper to taste

Pour a small amount of sauce into the bottom of the pan and top with the first layer of polenta.  Then layer meat/onion/garlic mixture, cheese and more sauce.  Top with another layer of sauce and then repeat.  Finish with a layer of cheese.

Bake at 350 covered for 20 minutes, uncover and bake until cheese is melted on top.

The next time I'd make it, I think I would layer some spinach leaves in there, too.

When I find the original recipe (not vegan), I will post!  Sorry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment