Thursday, January 16, 2014

Quin- what?

It's not uncommon for people to wonder how on Earth to pronounce Quinoa!   So, here you go, "KEEN-Wah".  Now, want to eat some???

You may remember my post about the health benefits from this wonder food, .  That's a great recipe (in fact, go back to the start of the blog- I have a lot of recipes!). I have a few boards on Pinterest to keep recipes for my friends on the Challenge and those who cleanse every 90 days.  This is one I found today and it combines my three favorite things:  Garlic, Ginger and Soy Sauce (I only use Bragg's Liquid Aminos).  You cannot go wrong with a recipe that has these three delicious treats!  This recipe was no different!  Trust me.  Make it.  You will thank me later!

QUINOA VEGGIE FRIED RICE

Ingredients:

  • 2 tbsp. olive oil, divided I used garlic infused grapeseed oil
  • 2 large eggs, beaten I used one egg and one egg white
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
  • 1 zucchini, chopped didn't have any...  was still delicious!
  • 1/2 cup frozen corn
  • 1/2 cup frozen peas didn't have this either...
  • 2 carrots, peeled and grated not a fan, so omitted these, too
  • 3 cups cooked quinoa
  • 1 tbsp. grated fresh ginger
  • 3 tbsp. soy sauce I use Bragg's Liquid Aminoa
  • 2 green onions, sliced
  • Sriracha, for serving nope, didn't have this, but did add some chopped chicken breast

Instructions:

  1. Heat 1 tbsp. olive oil in a medium skillet over low heat. Add eggs and fry until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side, flipping only once. Let cool before dicing into small pieces.
  2. Heat remaining 1 tbsp. olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring often, until onions become translucent, about 4-5 minutes.
  3. Add mushrooms, broccoli and zucchini. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
  4. Add corn, peas, carrots and quinoa. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.
  5. Add ginger and soy sauce, and gently toss to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
  6. Stir in green onions and eggs.
  7. Serve immediately, drizzled with Sriracha, if desired.
** from www.simpledish.com

Enjoy!  Pat even thought this was amazing.  He's cleansing and this was a filling, satisfying meal.  Never cleansed?  Want to know more?  Let me know! 

No comments:

Post a Comment