Monday, March 26, 2012

Day 19 is only halfway over, but I have a lot to share...

So, I didn't post about my night on the 17th day, nor have I posted about day 18.  It's day 19 and I think I'll highlight them all! Sorry I was being a slacker...

But it seems I have a virus- not in my computer, in my person.  :(  I can hardly walk down the steps w/o feeling like I need to sit for a spell.  I've been nauseous, headache, chilled, and physically exhausted.  This all began when I woke yesterday.  Let's backtrack, shall we?

Saturday night, as you know, Pat and I headed out on the a fore mentioned party bus.  It was fun, but about an hour and a half into it I got a text from our eldest daughter that she was going to puke.  Actually, it said, "im Gunnar puke".  I wasn't sure if that was her new stage name, or if she was sick.  Turns out, the sitter knew nothing of it and Gunnar Puke was in bed with her little sister...  all was well, but I felt a little odd being out on a party bus when my daughter felt badly enough to text me, poor grammar and all.  Everyone started guzzling early, but not me!  I feel too damn good to mess it up!  I had waters galore and didn't mind being the fun-sponge (believe me, it's not the first time I've been called that).  I did try one drink.  Key Lime whipped vodka and key lime sugar free tonic water.  I made my own, and it was tasty.  I drank about half of it before we arrived at dinner. 

Dinner was interesting.  It was the first time I was faced with all things bad that I LOVE.  Nachos are always better in a brew house, as are beer and soft pretzels.  :)  I did taste the nachos, piled high with jalapenos, and red onions.  MMMMM, but I didn't long for more, so after my taste, I was done.  I ordered a Mexican chicken dish w/beans and rice.  I asked for no cheese, but there was still some in it.  I thought I was getting something seemingly healthy.  WRONG!  It was FRIED!  Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!  There were three fried Mexican chicken wraps on my plate!  I made the best of it.  I ate one, gave two away and downed my beans and rice.  I was full and it was good.  I didn't dwell on it, either.  I'm not defined by what I eat, nor am I going to gain a bunch from eating the occasional nachos and fried chicken thing!  It was good.  I enjoyed the conversation at the table, I tried a few other menu items that others had and I left satisfied and full!

We went to a few bars after.  None too exciting.  I drank water the whole time, danced a little and enjoyed our friends.  Unfortunately, we did not get home until 2:45, and I still had to drive our sitter home.  So, I got to bed at 3:20.  I was so glad to be sober and hydrated!

Sunday I awoke sore.  Like I'd been hit by the party bus sore.  Like I was throwing back shots at the bar sore...  Like I had the flu sore...  It was really very surreal.  I literally felt like I had a wicked hangover.  I even wondered if someone slipped something in my water!  I slept most of the day, eating egg whites and turkey bacon for breakfast w/my MNS packet, along with grilled pork chops and fresh green beans for dinner.  I just felt horrible the entire day!  I knew there was no possible way I would make it at school the next day (being today), so I called around and because I work with wonderful people, they took care of me! 

Fast forward to today...  No better.  I am whipped.  I got up this morning to help get my people ready and took my MNS packet and a spark.  I had a chocolate shake for breakfast and after the fam was gone to their different places, I went back to sleep FOR THREE MORE HOURS!  I awoke to the phone and went down for an apple.  I could not get myself to walk back up the stairs, so I sat outside on the porch and ate my juicy apple.  I really love apples!  :)  I had some almond milk and bear granola for lunch.  It was good, and hit the spot.  The good news is that I just feel weak today.  A slight headache and body is still pretty sore, but I feel a small bit better than yesterday.  Unfortunately, I've gotten NOTHING done that needs done.  We leave for vaca on Friday and I literally have done NOTHING...  I can't even bring myself to try.  Maybe tomorrow.

The one thing I did do today is make dinner.  It's in the crockpot.  I'll post the recipe and if it's as good as it smells, you'll want to make it!  :)  Yes, I had to sit the entire time I made it, but I think it will be worth the effort!


Slow Cooker Chicken Barley Stew- from Clean Eating Magazine- which I love!

INGREDIENTS:

  • 32 oz low-fat, low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 tbsp garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp garlic sea salt
  • 1/2 tbsp thyme
  • 1/2 tbsp basil
  • 1/2 tbsp cilantro
  • 1/4 tbsp dill- I didn't have dill, so I omitted it
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 1/2 tbsp fresh ground black pepper
  • 12 oz boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed (uncooked) I shredded the chix, too tired to cut.
  • 1/2 cup uncooked black-eyed peas, rinsed and picked through
  • 1/2 cup barley
  • 1 medium sweet onion, cubed
  • 20 oz potatoes, peeled and cubed- I used sweet potatoes
  • 10 oz carrots (3 large), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch slices- We were out of carrots, so I omitted
  • 8 tbsp low-fat sour cream (optional)- omitted

INSTRUCTIONS:

  1. Fill a slow cooker with broth, 8 oz water, garlic, herbs and pepper. Add chicken, peas and barley, then layer onion, potatoes and carrots overtop. Liquid should just cover vegetables. Do not stir.
  2. Allow to simmer overnight, at least 4 to 6 hours. Remove bay leaves and stir before serving. Spoon 1 cup into each bowl and top with 1 tbsp sour cream, if desired.
Nutrients per 1-cup serving without sour cream: Calories: 230, Total Fat: 2.5 g, Sat. Fat: 0.5 g, Carbs: 3 g, Fiber: 5 g, Sugars: 4 g, Protein: 21 g, Sodium: 240 mg, Cholesterol: 40 mg 
 
 I will let you know how it goes!
See you tomorrow!

 

1 comment:

  1. Last minute decision- I added three cups of baby spinach to the crockpot for the last ten minutes of cook time. YUMM-O! I loved it! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete