Saturday, March 24, 2012

Catching up- Day 16 of the challenge on 17, but who's counting?

WOW!  I saw the Hunger Games movie last night!  It was outstanding.  I'm an avid reader and as a teacher, I love reading the latest in contemporary young adult literature.  The HG trilogy may have surpassed my love of all things Harry Potter (am I showing my inner-nerd too much?)!  If you've read the book, GO SEE THE MOVIE!  If you haven't read the book, read it first.  No movie is EVER as good as the book, and while this (and The Help) is pretty close, it's just not the same.  I'll hop off my "read the book" soapbox.  Just know that this movie is one I'd pay two, maybe three times to see at the theater.  That says a lot, considering I'm pretty cheap!  :)

If you're anything like me, going to the movies is only better when coupled with a large tub of popcorn smothered in melted butter and sprinkled generously with salt.  Guess what...not this time!  I didn't even want it.  It smelled great, for sure, but I never once thought, "...just one piece..." and I was flanked by two heaping bowls of warm kernels!  Instead, I drank my water and immersed myself in Katniss and Peeta!  Two weeks ago, I'd still be flossing!  :)

My yesterday was wonderful, and I felt great!  I ate well.  For the first time in two weeks I had a bit of cheese.  I ate French Onion soup from Panera and it has some shaved cheese on top.  Because it was so little, I didn't notice a difference, and it was soooo good. 

This morning was another milestone for our family.  We took our two oldest daughters to run in the Underground Railroad Walk/Run.  We signed-up for the 5K.  I assumed that I'd stick with out 8 year old and walk/run the race, but apparently she had other ideas.  I think some sibling rivalry was taking over because she tried to keep up with her amazingly fast sister.  They smoked by me early on and I lost them somewhere in the first five minutes.  Left on my own devices, I slowed to a comfortable pace and enjoyed the crisp air... for a while.  I did something today that no one my age should ever do.  I ran in a race (albeit only 3.1 miles) without training at all.  I have not run more than 1 mile in the last two months.  I've really been focusing on anaerobic exercise, and man I felt it today.  My point is, our bodies are instruments and we must prepare them for play.  I have more than prepared myself to continue my body weight focused workouts.  I'm up to 40 REAL push-ups (ok, not all at once, but four sets of ten is pretty awesome for me).  I felt weak and weird after running 3.1 miles in 34 minutes.  Yes, I finished, and yes, I was glad, but I'm a little mad at myself for not taking care of my body the right way to make the most of the run.  I did Spark and Rehydrate first thing, then had a shake prior to the race, came home and showered (and ate some egg whites, spinach, and tomatoes on a whole grain wrap) and then I did a Rehydrate drink again.  THAT was key.  I literally could feel my body re-regulate itself.  It was thanking me!  I will do it again in a couple of hours with my afternoon Spark and catalyst. 

I guess the moral of the story is that regardless of how amazing I feel, it is still a journey, a process.  I owe it to myself and all of steps I've made to do it right.  No one is an instant athlete (right?).  I just have to compare myself to myself and continue to be as proud and happy with myself as I continue to be. 

I will gloat on my girls, though!  Our 8 year old finished 18th out of 29 girls 12 and under.  She was the ONLY 8 year old in the group!!!  This was her first ever run and she did it in 30 minutes!  My 10 year old, who marvels me with her speed at her age, finished 8th in the same group.  She ran it in 27 minutes.  They get it from their dad...  :)  So proud (as always) of my girls.  They are good people! 

Tonight we have our first outing with friends since beginning the challenge.  By "outing", I mean we are joining 13 other people on a party bus headed downtown!  I am ready to put on my (previously) tight jeans, and shake my tail feather!  I've learned that I don't need to drink to have fun.  We end up feeling so much better in the  morning and we save money!  That's a win/win! 

I'll let you know how it goes!
See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment