Saturday, March 10, 2012

Spring is coming! Day 3 of the challenge...

Whenever the weather starts to get pretty everyone comes out of hibernation.  I love when the sky is blue and the sun is high just after winter.  The sidewalks are lined with kids on bikes, helmets cock-eyed and parents in driveways.  It's a sign that summer- glorious summer- is right around the corner.  It's also time to start the grill!

Today was beautiful.  We rarely get to sleep in, and today was no different.  Up at 7:00, we drank our mix of Spark and fiber drink.  Today we began our workout routine (again).  I have already mentioned my tendency to jump on whatever fitness bandwagon drives by, but when my good friend started CrossFit, I knew it was no "craze".  Quite the contrary, really.  This is a community of people- all shapes, all sizes, all ages- wanting to be fit for all the right reasons.  There's no lipstick, no fancy pants, just sweat, hard work and encouragement.  I really wanted to do it, but there's a little problem... It's too expensive (for now).  We will do it later.  Our next best thing is called Maximum Capacity.  It's a body weight based workout, 16 minutes and it's hard.  We love it.  It felt great to start up again!

After our meal replacement shakes (I had chocolate today- YUMMY), we went about our day.  I worked on the inside and Pat worked on the outside of our house!  The girls ran all around enjoying the fresh air and Vitamin D!  Even our dog had a playdate!  :)

For lunch I ate a spinach salad with the leftover chicken breast from Thursday night.  I added half an avocado and squeezed half a lime for dressing.  I added black pepper to taste and voila, I had a very filling, super yummy salad!  Later in the day I had three handfuls of trail mix for a snack.  In the early evening, while I was prepping for dinner, I had three Catalyst capsules.

I made Kale chips today to have for a snack.  Didn't love them, but our neighbor's daughter ate a whole plateful!  I sent them home with her!  :)  Her parents are doing the 24 Day Challenge w/us, so they can enjoy that healthy snack!  Here's the recipe if you'd like to try them for yourself.  Kale is a super food, I just wasn't happy with the seasoning I used.

Dinner was delicious!  I made Grilled Caribbean Chicken.  Super easy and great for a day like today!  The recipe is below.  I also peeled and cubed three sweet potatoes.  I set the oven for 400 and put the cubed potatoes evenly spaced on a roasting dish.  I tossed them with a tablespoon of olive oil and some garlic powder.  Once in the oven, I turn them every ten minutes for thirty minutes.  Literally, that is my favorite side.  The potatoes are so tender and soft inside.  I could eat the entire pan- I didn't though...  We had green beans, too, but the potatoes were soooo good, I hardly noticed the greens!  :)

Tomorrow brings a new challenge.  It will be our first meal outside of the home.  We will be attending Mass downtown and an Irish festival to kickoff St. Patrick's Day week.  If you know any true Irishman,  you know that with any celebration comes a fair amount of consumption.  I have no doubt that we'll be successful, though.  I feel wonderful, energized and healthy!  I'm not going to do anything to stop the momentum!  It will be a fun day regardless!  I'll tell you all about it!
See you tomorrow!

Grilled Caribbean Chicken
1/2 cup freshly squeezed juice from one orange (Avoid store bought orange juice)
2 teaspoons orange zest
2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar <3
2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger root
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 hot pepper sauce
1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
3-4 boneless skinless chicken breasts

Mix all ingredients except chicken in a blender.  Pour into a plastic bag.  Add chicken and seal.  Shake to coat.  Marinate in refrigerator for 1 hour (I only did it for 20 minutes).  Grill.
*Serve w/sweet potatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment