Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Day 21- rounding home...

Pat asked me tonight when I would stop blogging...  made me think.  I'm going to go with never, or when I run out of things to say.  Whichever comes first...

But it does point to the fact that our 24 day challenge is nearly finished.  With so many life changes, you are left with the question of, "Now what?"  I can remember every single time I did Weight Watchers, and I reached my goal weight.  I always remember feeling like a toddler on a bike just after Dad let go.  I'd inevitably fall EVERY TIME.  Sure, the amount of time I stayed up varied.  But you notice I said, "every single time I did Weight Watchers..."?  It was not a life change.  It was a diet.  A very successful diet, I might add.  I did it with every kid and in between at least three more times.  However,  I wasn't treating my body well.  I was not concerned with my health.  I was ONLY worried about weight.  I cannot tell you the difference between that me and this me.  My energy, my will-power, my attitude- different.  I am empowered and driven.  I honestly believe that this is due to the mind-shift I've had.  I have tackled a hurdle that has stood in my path down every road I walked.  I have shattered that myth that I have to deprive myself in order to feel strong, to feel well.  Quite the opposite, really.  I'm nourishing my body with some of the best food choices I've ever made and they are just that- CHOICES!  Sure, during the cleanse my diet was much more restrictive, but that was purposeful.  It cleared the pathway for optimal absorption of the nutrients that I now fill it with. 

And fill it we do- with really good food!  That is one great thing I have begun since we started.  I've started cooking some pretty great meals using clean and (where available) organic ingredients.  Tonight was no different.  I made Ginger and Cilantro Tilapia.  Of course, the girls brought out the ketchup at the sight of the fish, but I loved it.  Pat and I have a favorite place for sushi near our house and they serve a roll called the Houston Roll.  It's soy paper, tuna (or maybe salmon), fresh jalapeno peppers, and cream cheese.  That is exactly what dinner smelled like tonight!  YUM!  The ginger with the fresh jalapenos was perfect.  I paired it with steamed broccoli (with lemon zest and a squeeze of lemon juice) and whole grain brown rice.    The recipe follows.   It was a little spicy, but not bad.  If you are not a fan of spicy, I'd suggest using half the pepper and adding more cilantro.

Ginger and Cilantro Baked Tilapia from http://www.thekitchn.com/recipe-ginger-a-24737
serves 2, or 1 with lunch leftovers
2 large tilapia fillets (or similar thin white fish) - about 3/4 pound
1 jalapeno pepper (optional)
3 garlic cloves
1 inch grated ginger (1 tablespoon)
2 tablespoons soy sauce I used Bragg's Liquid Aminos
1/4 cup white wine This used to not be a problem- having wine around- but all I had was a blanc de blanc sparkling wine.  It was perfect.  Not too sweet, but not too dry. 
1 teaspoon sesame oil I only had olive oil
1/3 cup chopped cilantro
Scallions, chopped for garnish
Extra cilantro, to garnish
Heat the oven to 475ºF. Pat the fish dry and season lightly with salt and pepper. Place in a glass baking dish.
Chop the pepper and garlic, and grate the ginger. Put in a small food processor with the soy sauce, white wine, sesame oil, and cilantro. Whir until blended. Pour the sauce over the fish, rubbing it in a little. Bake for about 8 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily and is cooked through I did ten minutes. It will be very moist and gelatinous (I hate that word), still.
Serve immediately over brown rice, garnished with scallions and cilantro.

So, what is next?  In three days we will have officially completed the challenge, but we are far from finished!  We will continue with our daily MNS packs.  We will continue with our shakes, and we will learn what other things are necessary to help us reach our potential.  Of course, we'll be on vacation at the beach, so my potential may be limited to morning walks and lounging on beach chairs for a while...  :)
See you tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment