Sunday, March 18, 2012

Salmon, St. Patrick and Strep- Final day of the cleanse (day 10)

We had an eventful day yesterday, so much so that I had no time to blog!  My apologies!

So a late, Happy St. Patrick's Day to you!  We could not have created a more beautiful day if we tried!  The sun was shining, the birds were singing, the kids were having fun- well, not all of them...  Our middle daughter was very lethargic, complaining of a headache and a neckache.  Like most moms with more than one kid, I did what I knew was best...  placated her, fed her some Advil and pumped her with water.  I figured she was really fine, just being lazy.  I called a friend and arranged to meet her on the Monon for a walk/run, Pat went to an Advocare meeting, and our morning was lovely.  

On spring days like yesterday EVERYONE is out.  People air up their tires and jump on their bikes, runners lace up after a winter of hibernating, windows are thrown open and everyone finds a pair of shorts to wear!  We were all out chatting, and my neighbor mentioned that her daughter felt a lot like my daughter when she had strep a few weeks ago.  I figured it wouldn't hurt to look in my gal's throat.  WHOA!  Turns out, she has strep throat.  After two hours in the Minute Clinic (ironic) and a strep test, it was confirmed...  bummer!  I had to cancel my run, postpone our sitter, and love on my girl.  She was pitiful.

When we came home, I was still in my workout clothes, and Pat was lounging in the yard with our neighbors watching the dogs play.  My neighbor talked me in to going on a bike ride and doing some interval training in the yard.  I was up to the challenge.  I've been cleansing for 10 days, I'd had my Spark and my Catalyst capsules, I felt like a million bucks!  We started with a minute of jump roping, then ten burpees, and off on our bikes for a ten minute ride (repeat three times).  I started strong!  Then I was quickly reminded that while my energy is better than it's ever been, that doesn't mean I've miraculously gained cardiovascular endurance!  PHEW- I was winded!  The beauty of it is that even though I am still not as fit as I would like to be, I had the energy to hang on, to push myself, to keep going.  I did a shorter route than my friend, but I did it.  Another round of burpees and jumprope, and I stopped.  I know what happens when I push too hard.  I came in a did some light weights for my arms and some crunches.  I felt really good.  I will need to keep up with my cardio, but I know that my renewed energy will enable me to do it.  It's really an empowering feeling to know that I have it in me now. 

Our sitter is a college student (one I had in fourth grade, believe it or not) and she is probably one of the most responsible and mature young people I know.  She insisted that we go (her sister apparently has strep, too) out as planned, so we did.  What you need to know is that last week when she came over we gave her a Spark and a Slam after learning that she uses 5 Hour energy when she needs to be up late studying.  When she arrived yesterday she was positively glowing about how wonderful Spark made her feel.  She was able to have the energy and the mental clarity to get a project done that she'd been dreading.  I'm so glad we were able to help her see great results and get away from a toxic "energy" drink. 

We went to my favorite restaurant last night.  It's called The Local, and it's amazing.  They serve as much local and sustained foods as they can.  The menu changes on a regular basis because of this and I have yet to try something that wasn't outstanding!  Because we were still on the cleanse I talked to my server about eliminating the potatoes and olives (I hate olives) from my meal.  He made a few suggestions for what to add and I ended up with a braised salmon filet with fennel and asparagus!  I would have licked the plate if I could have.  It was delicious.  We went out with another couple and they had equally great meals.  If you've not been there, please do yourself a favor and go.  You'll love the food, they serve local beers and even have organic wines. 

Being St. Patrick's Day, we went to the Brockway Pub after dinner.  It was slammed!  We saw several people we knew and several we didn't!  The wind started to pick up and a storm was on it's way, so we left as quickly as we got there.  It was a fun night and a great way to spend the last day of our cleanse.

I cannot speak enough about my transformation from these last ten days.  I'm not only talking about my physical transformation, but I have really begun to see my health in a new light.  I see food differently.  I want others to feel as great as I do, and I know that this is just the start to a journey that will continue down a much longer path.  I hope you'll continue it with me.

See you later (tonight).

No comments:

Post a Comment